The next article is supplied by IAT Insurance coverage Group.
Not too long ago, 24 business vehicles have been rendered ineffective at an public sale home in Pennsylvania when the Frequent Powertrain Controller (CPC) modules have been stolen from the vehicles’ dashboards. A string of CPC thefts throughout the nation have left truck house owners and fleets with unusable vehicles at a time when having out there tools is important to maintain operations operating.
Much like the inflow of stolen automobile catalytic converters due to their hint quantities of uncommon metals, CPCs are referred to as the brains of business vehicles and fetch a excessive value on the black market. Controlling the engine and powertrain capabilities, vehicles can’t run and not using a CPC.
Compounded by present provide chain disruptions, because of the world scarcity of microchips, vehicles whose CPCs are stolen are sometimes thought-about a complete loss due to the issue sourcing new ones.
Seven methods to handle CPC theft for drivers and fleet carriers
A proactive method is the most effective deterrent for theft of any variety, particularly in terms of essential components that hold your fleet in movement. Listed here are seven methods insurance coverage brokers can advise their fleet house owners and operators on the right way to assist deter CPC theft each on the street and when a car isn’t in use:
- Lock the doorways. Whereas this would possibly sound like an apparent strategy to deter theft, drivers typically go away vehicles unlocked through the loading and unloading course of, and when stopping for a break when parked at their place of domicile. It’s all about limiting entry to the dashboard. All energy models needs to be routinely locked and secured when not occupied – even when the driving force is steps away from the cab for only a minute or two.
- Plan your route. An important component of security and theft prevention is route planning. Pre-planning routes may help pinpoint secure places to cease when on the street.
- Search secure parking. Drivers ought to find a fenced or gated location to park, both at their residence terminal or when out on the street, paying shut consideration to decide on well-lit areas when out there.
- Choose a safe password. All CPCs in fleets ought to have designated passwords which may be set by contacting the CPC producer.
- Report stolen CPCs. Fleet carriers and truckers ought to notify native legislation enforcement and truck producers instantly after a theft happens.
- Cross-reference car identification numbers from CPCs. CPCs introduced in for set up to dealerships and restore services needs to be checked towards the corporate’s database of CPCs to make sure the module hasn’t been stolen or illegally bought.
- Notify officers in the event you uncover a stolen CPC. Sellers and restore services ought to name native legislation enforcement and the trucking producer when a stolen CPC turns up.
CPC theft is a significant disruption for fleet operations. Along with substitute and restore prices, stolen CPC models can lead to missed supply deadlines for the fleet and disruptions for the companies ready for the supply.
Future deliveries will probably be impacted in addition to motor carriers contending with provide chain points whereas they anticipate a brand new CPC. Worst-case state of affairs: Your car could possibly be totaled if CPC substitute elements can’t be discovered.
Contact IAT for extra info for minimizing the specter of CPC theft.