Whereas Quicken and QuickBooks have related names, they’re separate merchandise that serve totally different functions. The distinction between Quicken vs QuickBooks is that Quicken is primarily for managing private funds, whereas QuickBooks is a double-entry bookkeeping system for small companies. Nonetheless, Quicken does have options to trace earnings and bills of rental homes and easy one-person companies.
Definition: A double-entry bookkeeping system tracks belongings and liabilities in addition to earnings and bills. This enhances the reliability of earnings and bills by guaranteeing that each one modifications in belongings and liabilities are mirrored in internet earnings.
When To Use QuickBooks
As our alternative for the greatest small enterprise accounting software program, QuickBooks On-line is nearly all the time a greater possibility than Quicken for monitoring your online business’s earnings and bills. The only real goal of QuickBooks is small enterprise accounting, and it’s greatest for the next:
- You’re a small enterprise proprietor: QuickBooks affords versatile plans for small enterprise house owners. It’s additionally straightforward to discover QuickBooks ProAdvisors or unbiased bookkeepers to handle your books since many accounting professionals are extra acquainted with QuickBooks than with Quicken. So, should you ever want help with bookkeeping in an effort to concentrate on managing your small enterprise, QuickBooks is your best option.
- You bill prospects: Along with its full-featured double-entry bookkeeping, it additionally has a wonderful bill creation and administration system. You’ll be able to personalize your invoices, preserve observe of excellent invoices, and report funds. That’s why QuickBooks is our top-recommended invoicing software program.
- You handle payments: QuickBooks, certainly one of our main recurring billing software program, particularly should you’re gathering gross sales tax, helps you to handle billings from stock purchases, preserve observe of vendor billings, and account for credit score memos. You may also create recurring payments to streamline fastened but repetitive funds.
- You’re a part of a church or nonprofit: We suggest QuickBooks On-line over Quicken for each church buildings and nonprofits as correct fund accounting inside Quicken can be extraordinarily troublesome.
Learn our QuickBooks On-line overview to see our in-depth case research of the software program.
When To Use Quicken
We rated Quicken because the greatest actual property accounting software program for people with round three rental properties. It’s predominantly a private finance device that tracks private bills, investments, and retirement accounts. Nonetheless, Quicken House & Enterprise, which is for Home windows customers solely, works effectively for monitoring tenants, rental charges, and lease phrases of your rental properties—capabilities the dearer QuickBooks On-line doesn’t do. As such, Quicken is greatest for:
- You handle round three properties: Technically, Quicken can handle 100 rental properties with 100 models per property, however we solely suggest it for managing three or fewer rental properties. You probably have greater than that, it could pay to make use of a extra intensive software program, equivalent to Buildium.
- It’s worthwhile to finances and observe private bills: Though Quicken isn’t a double-entry accounting software program program, it affords private finance options like expense monitoring, budgeting, and earnings monitoring.
- You observe retirement belongings: As a private finance software program, Quicken is healthier than QuickBooks for monitoring your retirement investments and belongings. It could actually present month-to-month to yearly projections of your funding accounts, which can assist you make choices for a greater funding final result.
Try our Quicken overview to be taught extra about its finance and rental options.
When to Use An Various
- You desire a free platform: Each Quicken and QuickBooks On-line solely have paid subscriptions, so it’s possible you’ll need to strive Dawn, our greatest free accounting software program. We additionally suggest it if that is your first time utilizing accounting software program.
- You need limitless customers: Quicken works effectively for one consumer, whereas QuickBooks accommodates as much as 25 seats. So you probably have greater than that, it would be best to strive Xero, which permits limitless customers.
- You desire a extra highly effective property administration software program: Quicken affords rental property options, nevertheless it’s not as highly effective as Buildium, certainly one of our main actual property accounting software program.
We even have many glorious QuickBooks alternate options, and a few are even free.
Quicken vs QuickBooks at a Look
Is Quicken or QuickBooks Finest for You?
Reply a number of questions on your online business, and we’ll provide you with a customized product match.
Quicken vs QuickBooks: Pricing
QuickBooks is priced a lot larger than Quicken, with QuickBooks Easy Begin costing 3 times as a lot as Quicken House & Enterprise. Nonetheless, the price of QuickBooks can be price it should you want the options of a full bookkeeping system, equivalent to monitoring belongings and liabilities and printing a steadiness sheet. Quicken affords nice worth, offered that each one you want is to trace earnings and bills.
Notice that Quicken’s House and Enterprise version is simply accessible for Home windows customers. It’s the one subscription that allows you to observe enterprise earnings and bills and handle rental properties.
Quicken vs QuickBooks: Options
Quicken and QuickBooks On-line provide very totally different options. Quicken’s are geared largely towards managing private bills and investments, however the House & Enterprise version provides some enterprise earnings and expense monitoring together with a collection of rental administration instruments.
In the meantime, QuickBooks is designed to trace belongings, liabilities, earnings, and bills of a enterprise precisely. It consists of options many companies require, equivalent to gathering and remitting gross sales tax, paying staff, and monitoring the price of stock.
Quicken vs QuickBooks: Ease of Use
QuickBooks On-line is simpler to arrange than Quicken as a result of it’s purely web-based, so you don’t have anything to obtain or set up. QuickBooks On-line can be simpler for monitoring enterprise earnings and bills as a result of that’s its main focus; Quicken has many different private finance options that may be complicated and pointless for monitoring enterprise earnings.
- Menu bar: Click on on the highest menu bar to navigate to the assorted areas of this system like Payments & Revenue, Rental Property, and Ideas & Tutorials.
- Whole spending: Preserve tabs on the place your cash goes by reviewing the graph that exhibits the quantity spent by class, equivalent to Auto or Utilities.
- Payments to pay: Keep on prime of month-to-month payments that you simply pay utilizing the Invoice Pay function.
- Price range: Create a finances that will help you discover methods to lower your spending and save more cash.
- Left menu bar: You’ll be able to entry nearly any job from the left menu bar, together with creating invoices, financial institution accounts, and studies.
- Revenue and Loss: Keep on prime of your revenue and loss (P&L) with out having to run a report.
- Bills: On this part, you’ll see the entire bills for a specific interval together with the highest three classes: Upkeep & Repairs, Job Bills, and Price of Items Offered (COGS).
- Revenue: On this part, you may see what your prospects owe you―accounts receivable (A/R)―in addition to the entire quantity of funds collected that you’ve got deposited versus undeposited funds.
- Gross sales: Control your gross sales all year long in an effort to acknowledge traits and make any needed changes.
- Financial institution Accounts: Right here, you’ll see your entire linked financial institution accounts and playing cards, together with a comparability of steadiness per financial institution and per books.
- Payroll Price: You’ll be able to view your payroll obligations right here should you’re utilizing QuickBooks Payroll.
- Time Monitoring: You’ll be able to observe hours labored with QuickBooks On-line’s time tracker for billable hours.
Quicken additionally affords Quicken for Internet, a companion app to the desktop model. Nonetheless, you continue to must buy Quicken for desktop to make use of its net model. In the meantime, QuickBooks On-line is only a web-based accounting software program and might be accessed through any browser.
Quicken vs QuickBooks: Cell App
Quicken and QuickBooks On-line can help you entry your knowledge on the go along with their cellular apps. Nonetheless, if you need a top-notch cellular accounting app, then we suggest Zoho Books as a result of it may carry out superior capabilities, equivalent to assigning time labored and bills to prospects or initiatives.
Quicken vs QuickBooks: Integrations
Quicken has restricted integrations whereas QuickBooks On-line has greater than 600, making QuickBooks the clear winner. It even has built-in integrations, like QuickBooks On-line Payroll, QuickBooks Time, Intuit Service provider Companies, and Invoice.com. On prime of those, you may add apps like Shopify and Sq. to handle your ecommerce enterprise. To see the complete checklist, see the QuickBooks App Retailer.
In the meantime, Quicken integrates with PayPal for accepting on-line bank card funds from prospects; Dropbox to retailer vital paperwork, equivalent to rental agreements and contracts; and Zillow Zestimate, which is a device that you should use to calculate the worth of your house. Much like QuickBooks On-line, it has a built-in payments cost device, permitting you to pay payments on-line. Try Quicken’s Service Middle for extra info.
QuickBooks On-line is the clear winner for small enterprise bookkeeping. Nonetheless, Quicken is healthier for companies with round three rental properties and solopreneurs whose enterprise actions are built-in with their private financial institution and bank card accounts. Most companies want greater than Quicken affords, however it’s possible you’ll go for it should you’re additionally on the lookout for a private finance app.